abandoned



2 COMMENTS

Over the weekend, I went with my new pal (and by new, I mean, we met that day and bonded over photography) Joey Nguyen to hunt down some street art by the Belgian artist, ROA.  See a big collection of his work HERE.  I was first captivated by his work after seeing this sick video on another new pal's blog, Mike Maravilla of Unscene Media Group.  If you want your mind blown by some crazy cool street art, you have to watch the video from one of Mike's posts, CLICK HERE.  It was quite an adventure to find it.  Started off with a hunt online for the address to the building, which led to an adventure into the west loop area of Chicago.  We went through little roads infested with a slew of tiny potholes which had us crazy bouncing around in my poor little Prius.  Once we got to the correct address, we still had to circle around to find the exact building and the exact wall.  Then we saw it!


I like this shot.  It shows the new and vibrant part of Chicago in the background, with all it's skyscrapers and glassy shiny windows.  But then shows this grungy, side of the west loop, where there are many forgotten buildings, rubble from demolished building sites and deserted alleys.


It was so amazing to see it in person.  This thing is ridiculously massive and you HAVE to see it in person to really take it in.  It was on such a cool part of the building where the surrounding area was just rundown and had a sad look of abandonment.  The entire area was fenced off and we guessed it was a way to keep out any possible ignorant people that would try to deface the piece.  We soooooo wanted to get up close and we tried to find a way, but it was about a twenty foot drop, even if we were able to get over the fence somehow.  It has such a sad and eerie vibe but it's also so beautiful.  It definitely put all other graffiti in the area to shame.

Joey and I had access to all of Tum Tum's equipment but I was an epic fail and left Joey's memory card at my place so we only had one camera.  We turned it into an impromptu photoshoot/practice shoot moment which I was totally unprepared for.  I had dressed to do some shooting myself so I was lookin' pretty frumpers.  Also, my hair is lookin' cray cray.  This is usually what I wear when I need to be oober comfortable.  Loose soft sweater, stretchy skinny jeans/jeggings and flats.  Oh well.  I think Joey got some pretty cool shots.


Aw, it says 'I miss you'.  I wonder who this was intended for.  Nothing fancy, just a simple statement.



Damn you fence.



This area was completely fenced off too but Joey and I found a small opening where the fence was warped and we ninja'd ourselves through it and climbed those huge cinder blocks, walked through bushes and probably poisonous weeds, just to get to this cool gravel area.  Yup that's me probably surrounded by some poisonous plants.



In the same area, we also found this half demolished and abandoned house or maybe it was a restaurant???  It was a little creepy to think that this was once someone's house and I wondered what the story was to this place.  It's been there for so long that plants are literally growing through the cracks on the concrete.  Either way, it made for some coolio shots.  Good job Joey!


Sweater - Wilfred  |  Tank Top - t.babaton  |  Jeans - Paige  |  Flats - Vera Wang Lavender  |  Sunglasses - Marc by Marc Jacobs  |  Watch - Michael Kors  |  Jewelry - Top Shop


Overexposed but one of my favorites.  =)  Thanks again Joey.  It was a fun adventure.  I definitely wish I was dressed a lot cooler than this.  LOL.  Also, I hope we both don't get some random skin rash from those crazy tall weeds.  I think there is one more ROA piece in the city to hunt down.  Let's go next time you are in Chicago!

(all photos taken by Joey Nguyen and edited by DOS)

BTW, did you enter my giveaway?  It closes TONIGHT!!!

-DOS

2 COMMENTS:

alfred - www.infiniteaction.com at: October 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM said...

i just submitted another one with bloglovin. waited on this one....so it gets mixed with the randomization well. i hope i win. weeeeeeeee!!!!

jane at: October 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM said...

sometimes less is more. that "i miss you" kinda lingers. like, i wonder who it was for. i like!

Post a Comment

newer post older post